Pages

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

When Things Go Bad


Have you ever had things you cook not turn out the way you want them to, or have you been greatly disappointed by something you cooked. Maybe it didn't taste the way you thought it should or it just flopped. My fiance asked me this last night. And I have to say yup, it's happened to me and it makes me nuts when it does. Maybe that's the control freak perfectionist that comes out every once in a while but it can be frustrating.
I have a wonderful Coq au Vin recipe, love to make it, it never fails. That is until I try to take care of the final steps and then hold it warm in a crock pot. Good idea, bad, bad out come. For me anyhow. All that butter and flour that's supposed to thicken, just turned into a melted mess sitting on top. It still tasted pretty good but I was truly irritated with myself. Then the other night I made Chicken Piccata to go with my risotto and was so NOT happy with it. I thought my chicken was a bit dry, I didn't think it had enough color, my sauce wasn't balanced enough and I REALLY need a fresh jar of capers. Everyone else loved it. Man I'm hard to please.
But things happen, cakes fall, or stick to the pan, or you misread a recipe and you add 2 "quarts" of zucchini instead of 2 "cups" the first time you make that Chocolate Zucchini Cake. Man was that cake green oh, and I was like, 16 or so. What a mess. But, in the end you try again in hopes that you've just made the bast thing ever! So, have you ever had things you cook not turn out the way you want?

Below is the zucchini cake I've been making for the last few years. It's AWESOME!


Chocolate Zucchini Cake

"This is a moist fudgy type cake. Sweet but not extremely sweet and makes good use of zucchini! You can frost it with chocolate frosting or cream cheese icing."
Ingredients:
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups white sugar
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
4 eggs
1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
3 cups grated zucchini
3/4 cup chopped walnuts

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9x13 inch baking pan.
2. In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Add the eggs and oil, mix well. Fold in the nuts and zucchini until they are evenly distributed. Pour into the prepared pan.
3. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes in the preheated oven, until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool cake completely before frosting with your favorite frosting.

1 comment: