Pages

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

My First Sugar High Friday

I love King Arthur Flour and order from them religiously. They have the best products for baking and cooking and the Baker's Banter Blog is awesome! Just last night I was searching for a gift for my sweetheart and I stumbled into the site and what did I find Black and White Brownies. These look wonderful but tonight I'm searching for the two recipes I'm doing for Sugar High Friday.

The theme this month is "TOASTED" so I went with nuts. Almonds, because I was too tired to run and pick up walnuts for the Mallows.

I decided to try two recipes. Partly because I wanted to do a test run of gifts for the holidays and partly cause I thought it would be fun to do this with my 9 year old nephew. We ended up only doing the Choco-Mallows with some revisions. My Variation used almonds and I added caramel filled milk chocolate squares.


Below is the original recipe

Choco-Mallows

Ingredients

* 2 2/3 cups chopped dark chocolate or chocolate chips
* 1/2 cup heavy or whipping cream
* 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
* 1 teaspoon vanilla
* 1 teaspoon espresso powder
* 13 marshmallows, halved around the circumference
* 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted if desired
* 16 ounces chopped dark chocolate or chocolate chips
* 4 ounces heavy or whipping cream
* 1 3/8 ounces light corn syrup
* 1 teaspoon vanilla
* 1 teaspoon espresso powder
* 3 ounces marshmallows, halved around the circumference
* 2 ounces chopped walnuts, toasted if desired




Directions

1) Line an 8" x 8" square or 9" round pan with parchment, and grease the parchment. If you don't have parchment, use waxed paper or plastic wrap.

2) Combine the chocolate, cream, espresso powder, corn syrup, and vanilla in a microwave-safe bowl.

3) Heat the mixture in the microwave (or in a saucepan set over low heat on the stove) till the cream is hot and the chocolate has softened.

4) Remove from the heat, and stir till the chocolate has melted and everything is smooth.



5) Spread about 3/4 cup of the melted chocolate in the bottom of the pan.

6) Space the marshmallow halves atop the chocolate. Distribute the walnuts evenly in the spaces between the marshmallows.

7) Spread the remaining chocolate atop the marshmallows and walnuts, spreading to the edge of the pan so that everything is covered.

8) Refrigerate for an hour or so, to set the chocolate. Remove from the refrigerator, and loosen the candy from the edges of the pan.

9) Bring to room temperature, and leave in the pan, covered with plastic, till you're ready to cut into squares.

Oh I also totally messed this thing up due to pressure from Sal, I just poured the chocolate over without mixing it with the cream etc. I'll have to do a revision after my weekend away. But they were still YUMMY!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment